I made this up the other night when I couldn't find the perfect taco salad recipe online.
It probably serves 2-4, depending on your appetite. When we had it we both ate until we were full, and Judith had a little, and there was enough left over for a snack for Dave the next day. We LOVED it!
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 med. onion, chopped
1 lb. ground meat or meat alternative
1 can black beans
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 tsp. cumin (you can double this and the chili powder if you like, I don't like it too spicy)
1 tsp. mild chili powder (NOT the Aussie stuff, I found that out the hard way once)
6 cups tightly packed romaine lettuce, chopped or grated (really, just use as much as you like)
1 green pepper, chopped
1 avocado, skinned and chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, chopped
1 lime (or equivalent lime juice)
1 cup salsa
1 cup sour cream (I found some pro-biotic stuff in the health food section!)
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese (or more, if you like)
1 large bag multigrain Tostitos (but Dave prefers nacho Doritos, blech)
1. In a cast iron skillet (or frying pan) cook onions and meat in olive oil over medium heat until meat is cooked.
2. While meat is cooking, chop and assemble lettuce, green pepper, avocado, tomatoes and green onions in a large bowl. Cut lime in half and squeeze the life, I mean juice, out of both halves over all the veggies. Mix so everything is well coated in juice. Set aside.
3. Add black beans, corn, cumin and chili powder to the meat and onions, mix well and let cook for 5+ minutes.
4. Combine salsa and sour cream in a small-ish bowl, set aside.
5. Grate cheddar cheese, set aside.
6. Assemble plates by starting with veggie mixture, then add meat mixture on top, sprinkle cheese on, top with salsa mixture, and then mix thoroughly. Scoop with Tostitos and enjoy! For a low-carb diet, skip the chips.
Sorry I don't have a pic, we ate it all too quickly.