Thursday, April 7, 2011

Lamb Chops (and bonus lamb burger recipe!)

Dave and I have only recently discovered how wonderful lamb is.

I have blogged before about using ground lamb in lasagna - http://judithsmama.blogspot.com/2011/01/mediterranean-lasagna.html and I have also made really yummy lamb burgers (1lb ground lamb, 1 egg, handful of bread crumbs, 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot, splash or two of Worcestershire sauce, 1 tsp or so (I never measure) each of garlic salt and parsley, about 1/2 tsp rosemary, and a few shakes of pepper. Mix well and form into patties, grill, and serve topped with feta cheese, lettuce, tomato, olives and Greek dressing on foccacia buns!).

So I decided to be adventurous one day and try lamb chops. I got a recipe from the internet (I forget where, sorry) and it was DE-LISH. I must share.



Lamb Chops

3-4 average-sized lamb chops

1/4 cup fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 cup fresh mint (or 1 tsp dried)
1/4 cup fresh thyme (or 1 tsp dried)
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/4 tsp pepper

1 tbsp olive oil

1/4 cup minced shallots (or 1 small onion chopped plus a couple cloves of garlic crushed)
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup chicken or veggie broth

2 tbsp butter

1. Chop herbs if fresh. Mix herbs, salt & pepper together in a small bowl. Rub into meat (make sure that everything is evenly dispersed over meat). Set aside for 15 minutes to absorb flavour.

2. With a cast iron skillet over medium heat, add olive oil and lamb chops and cook for 3-5 minutes per side. Remove from skillet but keep warm.

3. Add shallots to skillet until browned, then stir in broth and vinegar. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until sauce is reduced by half. Remove skillet from heat, add butter and mix until melted.

4. Pour sauce over chops and serve!

It is a really quick and easy meal for me, and I was actually quite surprised at how yummy it is! We are having it for dinner tonight and I am so excited!

No comments: