Monday, April 18, 2011

Chili

I'm honestly not a huge chili fan, but Dave really likes it so I make it every so often.



(Sorry the photo is so bad, I have had no desire to put any effort into my photos lately, it's sad.)

Here is the recipe I use:

In a medium to large cast iron Dutch oven (or a large pot could work) over medium heat, saute 1 medium diced onion in olive oil for a few minutes.

Add 1 lb of ground meat or meat alternative and 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp dried parsley). Cover and let cook until all meat is browned, stirring occasionally.

Then add:

1 15oz can of beans (Pinto, Kidney, Mixed, whatever...) drained and rinsed.
1 28oz can of peeled whole tomatoes, dump tomatoes and liquid into the pot.
1 5.5oz can of tomato paste.
1 tbsp chili powder.
1/2 tsp cumin.
1/2 tsp paprika.
Salt and Pepper to taste (I use garlic salt).

Mix well, and try to mash up the tomatoes as best you can.

Then add whatever veggies you like. I usually add a handful of frozen corn, a handful of frozen peas, a handful of sliced mushrooms, and a handful of sliced carrots. Sometimes even a handful or two of baby spinach. I'm not sure if any or all of those are truly "chili-worthy" but I live way up north so as if I'd know. Zucchini might be nice too.

Mix well, cover, and simmer on low heat for 1 hour (but make sure it's still bubbling a bit).

Add 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro (or 2 tsp dried), mix well and serve with fresh, home-made bread! A salad or some kind of fresh veggie side would be good too.

No comments: