Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day!

I was adventurous today and decided to make French toast for breakfast, for the first time EVER.

Judith helped.



Can anyone else's 3.5 year-old crack eggs flawlessly? She's been bugging me to let her do it for the longest time, and I told her she couldn't until she was 8. But she has proven me wrong, yet again.





*

Here's the recipe, which makes 8 pieces of French Toast (that I got from Baby Center of all places!):

In a medium bowl, whisk together

4 large eggs
1 3/4 cups low-fat milk (I used almond milk)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Melt 1 tbsp butter on medium heat in a frying pan. Dip 2 pieces of bread in the egg mixture until each slice is thoroughly coated on each side, and fry in pan for 2-4 minutes, or until done. Flip and fry the other side for the same amount of time.

Repeat with the remaining 6 pieces of bread. Add another tbsp of butter to the pan before you add new slices of bread to cook.

Finished French toast pieces may be kept warm on a foil-lined baking sheet in a 200-degree oven until all pieces are cooked.

*

Voila!



Once they were done, I sprinkled icing sugar on each one, then covered in maple syrup (REAL maple syrup, made by my family in Ontario <3). Then I went all out and added slices of banana and strawberry, then topped it all off with whipped cream.

I gave Dave his, and then went back to the kitchen to prepare some for the kids. I popped my head out a few moments later, and asked if he liked it. Normally he tells me right away if something I make is good, so I was kind of worried. But I was surprised to find him tipping up his plate to scrape off the last tiny crumbs and syrup into his mouth. I guess it was too good for him to stop and tell me! He said it was as good as Cora's. =)

Gideon's like, "Are you seriously giving me all this?"



We all loved it. I thought for sure that Gideon would get it all over himself, but surprisingly he stayed pretty clean! I guess it was too good to smear all over himself. And both kids wore "I Love My Daddy" bibs.



Peace out.

No comments: