Sunday, October 12, 2008

Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!


We are off this morning to visit Dave's aunt and uncle a couple hours north of here. I met them briefly once at a family reunion, but I don't know them really at all. So I'm a little nervous but I hope all goes well.

Dinner there is a pot luck and I just want to share the recipes of the food I'm bringing. Because I think it looks fabulous.

I got the recipes from 1001recipe.com which has a plethora of yummy, healthy recipes.

***

First is a chicken potato salad. This would also make a good entree! I would double it (or more) in that case. I am totally copying and pasting this...

Main Ingredients:

Chicken Breasts: 2 *preferrably local free-range and/or organic!
Onion: 1 medium, coarsely chopped
Garlic: 1 clove, chopped *pfft, I used like 4 or 5 cloves, I love garlic.
Nugget Potatoes: 1.5 cups, cut in half (or equivalent chopped potatoes) *I used all of a 1.5 lb bag of mini potatoes.
Green Peas: 1/2 cup
Olive oil: 3 tbsp
Butter: 1 tbsp
Salt *I used msg-free seasoning salt instead of salt and pepper
Pepper

Sauce Ingredients:

Mayonnaise: 2 tbsp
Yogurt: 4 tbsp
Lemon: juice of 1
Fresh Dill: 2 tbsp, chopped
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

1. Marinate the potatoes with 2 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper (*or seasoning salt). Bake in the 350 F oven for 45 min or till golden.

2. Meanwhile, in a frying pan, melt 1 tbsp butter with olive oil. Add onion and fry for 2 min. Add garlic and fry 1 more min. Add chicken breasts, salt and pepper (*or seasoning salt) and cook for 5-10 min on each side (*or until thoroughly cooked, it took longer for me). Let them cool.

3. In the boiling water, cook green peas for 5-10 min. Darin and cool in iced water.

4. Blend all the sauce ingredients and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

5. Cut chicken breasts into small cubes. Mix chicken breasts, potatoes and green peas and blend in the sauce. Keep in the fridge.

***

And I am also bringing a green salad with orange juice sauce, found here...

Main Ingredients:

Salad Green Mix
Feta Cheese
Black Beans
Sliced Almonds: (or pinenuts)

Sauce Ingredients:

Orange Juice: 1/2 cup
Lemon Juice: 1 tbsp
Dried Mint: 1 tsp
Fennel Seeds : 1/2 tsp
Salt
Pepper

Directions:

1. Blend all sauce ingredients.

2. Mix all salad ingredients and serve with the sauce.

***

I am very excited to eat these! I hope everyone else enjoys it too!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

No comments: