Thursday, April 8, 2010

Books

I'm sorry that I haven't posted anything since lent ended on Sunday! Our Mac computer is in the shop, so I am unable to post any pictures, and seriously, what fun is a blog post without pictures?

But I guess I do have something I could share with you: my current reads.

I really enjoyed doing lots of reading over lent! I used to read a lot, but lately haven't seemed to have the time. But that is going to change, because I have rekindled that love. Plus, I find that when I am online I get really grouchy with the kids, but if I'm reading, I can still be pleasant. It's easier to set a book down than walk away from the computer, for some reason, when the kids need me.

If I had more time I would link all of these, but I don't. Sorry. If you are interested in these books, you will just have to search for them on Amazon or something. Or look for them at your local library (where I got most of these). It will be worth the effort.

So, here are the books I have read:

Discipline Without Distress by Judy Arnall (very good!)

Pregnancy, Childbirth and the Newborn by Penny Simkin (large book, but excellent and I would recommend this for all first-time expectant parents)

Instinctive Birth by Val Clark (very good)

PeeWee Pilates by Holly Jean Cosner (really really good, Pilates exercises for mom & baby)

Endometriosis for Dummies by Joseph W. Krotec (informative, interesting as far as a book about endo can be...)

Sex + Money: A Global Search for Human Worth by A Voice for the Voiceless, PhotogenX - Kona (YWAM) (very well done, my only issue is how they blame free enterprise for the proliferation of sex trafficking, while I personally believe it has a lot more to do with government corruption and prohibition, but that's a whole other blog post. Overall it's an excellent expository book)

In the Womb by Peter Tallack (very awesome visual and descriptive journey through pregnancy)

Labor of Love: A Midwife's Memoir by Cara Muhlhahn (EXCELLENT! My favourite book of them all. It's 256 pages, and I finished it in less than 48 hours, I couldn't put it down!!!)

I am currently reading: Your Best Birth by Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein (good so far!)

I also read 2 Today's Parent magazines, 2 Birthing magazines, 1 Mothering magazine, and my Bible (although not all of it, unfortunately).

There is a pile on my book shelf I have yet to read, including:

The Doula Book by Marshall Klaus

The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin

Dr. Jack Newman's Guide to Breastfeeding by Jack Newman

A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller

It Sucked and then I Cried: How I Had a Baby, a Breakdown, and a Much Needed Margarita
by Heather B. Armstrong

So, that's what I have been up to! I wonder if I will ever get sick of reading about birth?

1 comment:

Lauren said...

I think its impossible for a birth junkie to get tired of reading about birth! Speaking from personal experience. :) I want to read that midwife's memoir you mentioned. I've been reading a fictional series for months and need a break. :)

Glad you're back!!