Sunday, February 15, 2009

Happy Engagiversary to Us!



6 years ago today Dave asked me to marry him.

We met at Bible college (shut up). We hung out at the retreat at the beginning of the year and talked about music, while avoiding any sport-related activities. I thought he was a bit weird and really hoped that he didn't like me. I was dating a guy back home. But I was also desperate to make friends who would go to shows with me. By October we were really good friends, along with our friend Jared. The 3 of us did everything together, stayed out all night, and I had the time of my life. Then in November, Jared and I were at Dave's parents' house, and at one point Dave and I were alone, and it was just one of those "moments" and Dave kissed me. I was both excited and terrified. I really did love Dave, but this meant I would have to break up with my boyfriend, which I was really scared to do. But I did it. I knew it was right.

We started talking about marriage right away. Our dreams and values lined up, and we knew that was what we wanted, so we didn't wait. In February we were helping out with a youth retreat that my mom organized for several youth groups in our area. It was held at the camp that I had gone to since I was 6, and then worked at for 5 summers. It is one of the most special places in the world to me. My dad was there briefly, and Dave had a little chat with him and asked if it would be ok to marry me (awww, so old-fashioned!). So then, during the talent show while my brother was playing his guitar, Dave asked me to marry him. And I said "Of course!"

We planned a cheap but beautiful wedding, and got married August 24, 2003 at my parents' cottage. By the time our honeymoon was over (we went camping with a tent we got as a wedding gift!) we had known each other for a year. If someone had told me when I first met Dave that a year from then we would be married, I would have told them they were out of their mind! Funny how things change in a year.

I honestly never thought I would get married until I was at least 25, and have kids until I was in my 30's. But here I am! I am now 25, married with 2 amazing children. Wow! And I don't regret a thing.

2 comments:

Mandi said...

Oh I love your story!! Happy "Engagiversary" to you both!!

PS the word verification is "Mants". reminds me of "murse" (man purse) so it makes me think of "man pants". That's all ;-)

Unknown said...

That is such a sweet story! And I think it's really cool you met your hubby at Bible college (so did I).What an amazing story! Congrats on your 6 year engagiversary! :) We just celebrated our 5th engagiversary back in December!